To simply put, the Internet of things (IoT) is something that describes the network of physical objects, that is, the things surrounding us that are embedded with sensors, software, and various technologies to connect and exchange their data with other devices and systems over the internet. The horizon of these devices is wide. They range from ordinary household objects to professional industrial tools. IoT solutions comprise a system of interrelated computing devices, mechanical, digital machines or people with UIDs as well as its ability to send, receive and transfer data over a network without any human interaction or from human to computer.
IoT solutions can be explained in layman’s terms as the variety of physical devices around the globe that are connected to the internet collecting as well as sharing data.
Some examples of IoT devices can be:
- An electric bulb can be switched on with the help of a smartphone application.
- A smartwatch or a fitness band or other wearable devices can be listed under an IoT device as well.
- Fitbit can be an apt example too.
HISTORY OF IoT SOLUTIONS
The idea of IoT solutions emerged from the idea of adding sensors and intelligence to basic objects and it was put under discussion throughout the 1980s and 1990s.
The term “Internet of Things” was coined by Kevin Ashton in the year 1999, but it took one more year for this technology to chase the idea and vision.
IMPORTANCE OF IoT platform
IoT platform is nothing but a set of various components that assist to allow developers to spread out the applications, remotely collect data, a connectivity that is safe and secure, and execute sensor management.
IoT platform is responsible to supervise connectivity of the devices and it also allows the developers to build and create new mobile software applications.
An example can be Amazon Echo.
TOP COMPANIES WITH THE BEST IoT SOLUTIONS
- ScienceSoft: It offers services like IoT consulting, IoT development, IoT analytics, Internet of Medical Things (IoMT), industrial IoT (IIoT), smart cities, smart supply chain and fleet management, retail IoT, and smart connected products. Its headquarters are located in McKinney, Texas, USA and it was founded in 1989. It holds a revenue of 25 million dollars with an employee count of more than 700.
- Akenza: With the tagline “Shaping the future of IoT”, facilitates the digital transformation of companies and cities through the Internet of Things. It is a creative and strong Swiss company, having headquarters in Switzerland.
- DataArt: It is a global software engineering corporation and it takes up an extraordinary human approach in solving problems. This company has experience of more than 20 years with a crew of professionally trained engineers from all around the world. It holds in-depth industry sector knowledge as well as continuous technological research. It was founded in 1997 and its locations are in the United States as well as the United Kingdom.
- iTechArt: It offers services like IoT application development, API deployment, 3rd party integration, connectivity with wearables, IoT gateway development, Data analytics. iTechArt headquarters are located in New York, USA. It was founded in 2002 and has an employee count of more than 1800.
- Oxagile: It provides services such as IoT software development, IoT consulting services, IoT hardware prototyping and integration services, Industrial IoT. Oxagile headquarters is located in New York, US and it was founded in 2005. It holds a revenue of around 8 million dollars and has more than 350 employees working under it.
- Indium Software: It offers services such as IoT analytics services, and IoT testing services. The headquarters of this company is situated in Cupertino, California, USA. Its foundation was laid in the year 1999. It holds a revenue of around 25 to 50 million US dollars and it has 1000-5000 employees working under it currently.
- Softeq: It offers IoT solutions, IoT application development, wearables, IoT Hardware Prototyping. It has its headquarters located in Houston, Texas, USA. It was founded in the year 1997 and it has more than 300 employees working under it at this instant.
- R-Style Lab: IoT services for Mobile, Web, Data, and Embedded levels are a few products and services offered by this company. R-Style Lab headquarters are currently located in San Francisco, CA. This company was founded in the year 2006 and has around 50 to 200 employees working under it.
- HQ Software: It offers services and products such as high-level development for devices and sensors, Data Analysis, UI and UX design web and mobile app development. Its headquarters are currently located in the USA and Europe and it was founded 21 years ago in the year 2001. It has around 50-100 employees working under it.
Some famous companies offering the best IoT solutions today are ScienceSoft, Akenza, DataArt iTechArt, Oxagile, Indium Software, Softeq, R-Style Lab, HQ software and so on.
Today, IoT platforms have made complete automation possible. The IoT platforms such as Smart home systems are very prevalent in today’s fast-moving world of globalization.